Monday, February 27, 2012

Old at 50? No, thanks!

A coworker came up to me one day.  He sighed, then said, "Sometimes I get depressed.  I'm 25 and I  realize that I'm half-way to 50.  I'm halfway to being old."  There was no other response for me but laughter.  I'm not sure what his definition of old is but it sure doesn't match mine.  Old to me is when you retire and sit in a rocking-chair.  I have to admit, however, that when my oldest sister turned 50, I was amazed to realize I had a sibling who was a half-century old.  Now that I am past 50 myself, I consider it a half-century young.

I have friends and relatives who are older than me and have retired and still others who are older than me and still working.  All of them are busy people.    Yes, some things have changed.  I don't have the eyesight or hearing I once did.  I don't multi-task as easily or work as quickly.  I don't have the strength that I used to and have "turkey arms" unless I work hard on them.  (Turkey arms:  when you wave and your arms jiggle around.)  I am also more organized than I used to be, plan ahead better, and have the wisdom and experience only years can give you.


My children and grandchildren don't help much when they say I am not old.  They certainly seem to mean it when they say it but then will turn around and talk about some "older lady".  When I ask the age of this "older lady", the response is usually..."Oh, I dunno.  About 50, I guess."  At my raised eyebrows, they realize their faux pas and start verbally stumbling around.  While outside, I may look insulted, inside I am laughing.  Thank goodness I don't depend on others' definition of old or I'd be in my rocking chair.  I have decided to stay active and young as long as possible.  I hope you do the same.  Stay active and enjoy each stage of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment